Sunday, July 1, 2012

DIY: Etched Glass Jars

Hey everyone! Happy Sunday!
How was your weekend? I spent mine just hanging out with Leroy before he went to work and finishing up some school work. Noting too exciting. Sometimes those are the best weekends! :)
Friday, I guest posted for Bonnie at House of Grace! I love her blog; she is so organized! I did a DIY tutorial for etched glass jars and I wanted to share it with you too!

I love the etched glass look but did NOT want to pay someone to etch a jar that will hold my Q-Tips and cotton balls! I did a little investigating and figured out how to get the same look on my own!
jark 
First, decide what type of jar want to etch and what you want to put in it.
I got this jar from Hobby Lobby. It was super discounted because there were a couple of little dings on the lid. I got it for about $1.50. Score!
jara 
Make sure the jar is thoroughly cleaned and use your favorite glass cleaner to get off and fingerprints or smudges.
The first thing we’ll do is tape off the area we want painted. I used Frog tape. It seems to work better than regular blue painter’s tape but use whatever works best for you!
jarb 

I wasn’t too worried about my tape; I just eyeballed it. You could always get a level to make sure everything is nice and straight.
I
Next, we’ll put the lettering on the jar. I wanted my jar to hold Q-tips. I started with the middle letter of the word to make a sure everything was centered.
My favorite letters to use are the cardstock stickers. They’re thicker so their easier to put on and also to remove.
I used an etching cream from Hobby Lobby and a sponge brush to paint the etching cream on.
{I recommend doing this part outside or in a well ventilated area. This cream is strong!}
Now is the waiting game. There is usually a drying time on the back of the etching cream. I think I just ran to the grocery store and then finished the project after I got back.
After the jar is completely dry, rinse it under some warm water in a stainless steel sink. The cream may stain other types of sinks!
Go ahead and peel off the tape and stickers.
Give the jar one last rinse off and you’re done!
Here’s the finished product! It’s subtle but I think it’s really cute! This project would be great for things like sugar or flour…the writing would really pop!

I hope you enjoyed it!
Make sure you follow Living Sweetly on Facebook to see more into our daily lives!

I'm linking to these parties!!
Mommy by Day Crafter by Night
Jennifer Rizzo

7 comments:

  1. Kelli,
    That is so cool! I can already think of all the jars I want to make. My daughter is going to love this project! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can't wait to see what you link up next. Have a great weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Your daughter will love it! Easy but fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I like this post talking about etched glass, being an artistic I want to do an actual glass etching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I like this post talking about Etched glass, being an artistic I want to do an actual glass etching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creative and aesthetic blog. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wooww...impressive. Thanks for your rare idea !


    glass jars

    ReplyDelete